Anne Boleyn and Henry VIII Paraphernalia

Yesterday the wonderful Susan Bordo – who is currently working on a remarkable book entitled ‘The Creation of Anne Boleyn’ - asked a very interesting question! She asked: What is the strangest bit of Anne/Henry paraphernalia you own?

This got me thinking, what was the strangest thing I owned related to Anne Boleyn and/or Henry VIII? Now I have to admit that I own a LOT of trinkets, books and bits and pieces related to Anne. I own books, magnets, postcards, bags, dolls, jewellery, a coaster set, greeting cards, a spoon, coins and many other wonderful items that all remind me of Anne. Yet while perhaps not my strangest, one of my most beloved items related to Anne/Henry VIII is this…








I have a tattoo of a Tudor Rose on my left shoulder blade. (I apologise for the poor quality image). My tattoo holds a special meaning to me for two reasons. The first being that it signifies my love of Anne Boleyn and all things related to the reign of Henry VIII. I have always been drawn to Anne and her life and I have a deep desire to continue learning more about her. Through my admiration of Anne I could not help but read about Henry VIII. I became increasingly interested in this larger than life man and found myself reading more and more about him. For me my Tudor Rose tattoo signifies my love and interest in Anne Boleyn and Henry VIII and the magnificent Tudor history.

The second reason this tattoo holds such significance for me is because I have a beautiful two and a half year old daughter. Her name is Ellie and her middle name is Rose. My husband and I agreed upon our daughter’s first name and I was allowed to choose her second name. I chose Rose because I love the name and also for my love of history. Next to the Tudor Rose I have tattooed an ‘E’ – so together the E and the Tudor Rose mean Ellie Rose – my daughter’s name.







While my Tudor Rose tattoo may not be the strangest piece of Anne/Henry paraphernalia I own, it is most certainly the piece that holds the most importance to me! So as Susan Bordo asked: What is the strangest bit of Anne/Henry paraphernalia you own? Or if not strange: What is the most important item related to Anne and/or Henry VIII that you own?

I also wanted to give a quick shout out to my Facebook Page which I have started in conjunction with this blog: Anne Boleyn: Queen to History on Facebook

5 comments:

Daphne said...

Aw, that is so sweet - I like the tatoo!

I don't have that many paraphernalia things yet, but I do have one of Deri's felt Anne Boleyn dolls that I just love!

Sarah said...

Yes I have one of those too! I'm proud to say I have the first Deri Anne Boleyn doll shipped overseas! *Beams* Deri is so talented!

Deanna Candler said...

I have Anne's motto "the most happy" in French down my spine :) I love it and her story! I've been obsessed with her since I was in middle school!

Deanna Candler said...

I have Anne's motto "the most happy" in French down my spine :) I love it and her story! I've been obsessed with her since I was in middle school!

Sarah said...

Oh hun I'd LOVE to see a photo!

Post a Comment